How to get a perfect candle burn?
Trim the wick
Trim the wick to between 1/8 and 1/4 inch long every time you want to burn your candle. You can use scissors, nail clippers, or a wick trimmer, but whatever you use, make sure to trim every time.
Why do you do it every time? Trimmed wicks produce a cleaner, brighter flame. Wicks that haven't been trimmed are more prone to take on an odd form that dulls and obscures the flame. Excessively long wicks can leave undesirable smokey stains on your glass jar candles, which isn't an issue with our tin candles, however reducing the wick keeps the flame under control.
Let the wax Pool
DO NOT blow out your candle until the top layer of wax has melted all the way across. This could take several hours, so don't start burning a candle unless you're sure you have the time. This is referred to as candle memory.
If you don't reach full melt, you're contributing to a process known as tunnelling. The wick begins to descend lower and lower, as if a tunnel is forming in the candle's centre. The tunnel will eventually become so deep that lighting the wick will be impossible. More significantly, all that unmelted wax on the sides means hours of wonderful scent and burn time that you paid for but will never use.
Only burn for 4 hours
Carbon will collect on the wick if you light your candle for more than 4 hours at a time, and your wick will begin to "mushroom." This can result in the wick being unstable, the flame becoming too large, your candle smoking, and soot being expelled into the air and around the candle container.
Dip your wicks
You may have noticed that when you blow out a candle, it smokes - sometimes a lot. This is because the core of the wick continues to burn for a short time. During this time, the inside of the wick can turn to carbon (ash), making it quite brittle and difficult to light the next time the candle is lit.
Then there’s the smell. After letting a scented candle burn for a few hours, why use the smell of smoke to wipe away all that beautiful scent?
And all that icky soot. People often say, “Wow, that candle is burning really sooty!” But
in fact, much of the grey or black soot buildup seen on the glass jar is caused by the
smoke that billows when the candle is blown out. What's the solution? It’s quite simple: dip that wick! Many retailers sell ‘wick dippers,’ with some of them being quite ornate and expensive. However, you can use anything from tweezers to a knife to a popsicle stick. (Just be careful if the object is flammable, such as a popsicle stick.) After you extinguish the candle, prop up the wick, pulling it out of the wax so it’s ready to light next time.